Friday, October 17, 2008

The Middle Half

It has now been almost a week since the half marathon. It was great! It is such an awesome feeling to cross the finish line of a long race. My only goals for this half marathon were to take it easy, enjoy it, and feel good at the end. I accomplished all three of those goals. I felt so good at the end that I didn't feel like I pushed myself hard enough. As my husband reminds me, this really isn't the time to push yourself.

I have always had an issue with port-a-potties. I had an experience this time that will keep me from ever using one again. I have had major bladder issues while training for this race. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact I am carrying my sixth child. I was determined not to stop too many times during the half marathon. The lines were so long that I really didn't want to stop. By about mile 7 I knew I had waited too long and was going to have to stop. Stephanie was still with me at this point so I sent her ahead. I waited in line and was finally able to get a little relief. See since I already have this issue with port-a-potties I can't go once I get inside. Even though I really have to go. I usually do better to just pee on myself while running. Too much information I know. So at mile 9 I needed to stop again. This time there was no line. Great! It was a little off the course, but no big deal. I still couldn't go so I decided to give up and just endure till the end. The only problem was when I went to open the door it wouldn't open. I calmly tried again. It wasn't opening. I could see through the top and could see runners on the other side of the road. Remember this port-a-potty was not on the course. I start yelling, HELP and banging on the door. Still runners are just running by. I continue to yell and bang on the door. Finally this wonderful girl comes to help me get out. I am forever grateful to her. We tried to bend the metal piece that was getting stuck so it wouldn't happen to someone else but we weren't strong enough. I kept worrying all day that someone else was stuck in there. Later that day we drove by and nobody was stuck in there, but someone had broken the metal piece off. So I know I am not the only person who had the experience of being locked in a port-a-potty.

Logan, granddaddy, and Josiah followed us along the course to take pictures and cheer us on!!It was a very hot day! Some wonderful firefighters sprayed us with water . It was a great boost to finish the last two miles.Mom and the youth from church worked one of the water stations. They had a great time too!!

9 comments:

Meghan said...

WOHOO!!! What a great race!!! I'm so glad we were able to do it again. You continue to amaze me and are my hero!! Better you than me to be locked in port-a-potty. I think I'd panic. I hope this 6th one will always love running!

Heather said...

You amaze me girl! Way to go!!!

Denise Skelton said...

You are amazing! I don't know that I could do a half marathon and survive and you do while pregnant!! Congrats!!!

The Duke Family said...

YOU GO GIRL! I am amazed at your loyalty to the race even while pregnant. I lack that dedication in my normal non-pregnant state. You are awesome!

Teresa

Lindsey's Story said...

That is a hilarious story! I'm laughing as I type this...I can just picture you banging on the door and yelling for help! That only happens to people in the movies! I agree with your sister, I would panic, cry and say some things that I probably shouldn't.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face tonight. Yes you are crazy to be running- I use every excuse in the book when I am pregnant!! But I have bragged about you lately and all my neighbors are impressed.

So sorry about the port a potty incident- I hate those things too!! I would had flipped my lid- oh wait I was locked in one once when I was pregnant but my hubby and dad locked me in there!!!

Love all the pictures- good job- and I bet your kids were jealous about the help from the firefighters... seems like a little kids dream sprinkler.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing.

Jenny said...

Amen to the above comments! You are amazing!!

Jeni Simmons said...

First, You go girl! Second, the stuck door would only happen to someone who had issues with them to begin with. So sorry that happend. You will for sure go with the pee on yourself route next time. lol You are the SUPERWOMAN!